When Madi was 6 months old we went to France for a medical conference and extended it into a vacation afterwards. We spent a few days in Paris and 6 days in Aix-en-Provence. We stayed in an Airbnb so that we could have some meals at home and have more space to relax in the apartment during Madi’s nap time.
This vacation was very different than previous vacations Graeme and I have had together.
We took things very slow and did limited site seeing. We would sleep until Madi woke up and then go to the market for fresh cheeses, breads, eggs and fruit. We would bring our fresh food back to the Airbnb to have a relaxing breakfast together.
After Madi’s morning nap, we would wander the streets in the early afternoon window-shopping and stop for a glass of wine at a cafe.
We would often return to the apartment so Madi could have her second nap.
During the 6 days, we did 2 daytrips; one afternoon we went on a wine tour and the other afternoon we drove to Saint-Tropez to spend the day at Le Club 55. We loved Le Club 55! The beach was beautiful and there was great people watching there.
Our trip to France was filled with great food, wine, walking and more downtime in our Airbnb than we normally spend.
Tips for travel to Europe with an infant:
- Bring good walking shoes as there is a lot of walking on cobblestone streets
- Bring a baby carrier AND stroller
- Try not to plan too many activities. Graeme and I normally love doing lots of site seeing and activities, but for this trip we only planned two things we really wanted to do during our trip.
- Plan activities around nap time
- Bring snacks from home that you know your little one would like. It is stressful being in a new country trying to find snacks your baby likes.